Last night I got started working on removing a bit of weight from the doors on the Nova and found there is quite a bit of savings there. Window and door handle hardware, window regulator and misc. hardware totaled 6.4 lbs. Door glass weighed 10.8 lbs and the vent window 4.31 lbs. I'm estimating the lexan to weigh in approximately 1/2 of the weight of the glass, which should yield a savings somewhere around 15 lbs per door, a total of around 30 lbs savings. I'm going to be setting it up like a 1973 Nova that doesn't have vent windows to get that extra ~ 4 lbs of weight. Sure, I'll miss the vent windows as they are real nice to let some air in the cockpit when you're on the return road, but even more interested in getting that 8 lbs out. For door handles, I'm going to make some aluminum handles like what the guys with fiberglass doors use at the top of the door. They will save a little weight, and make it easier to get the door open with all those door bars in the way. I'll also be doing some work to the doors as well, and I'd bet I can get at least 2-4 lbs there, so I'm hoping we'll end up saving around 40 lbs when it's all said and done.
Last night I found out for sure that my plan to move the dry sump tank behind the LF tire was actually going to work for sure. I removed the air boxes from the outside of the firewall and fabbed up a mount for the Dry Sump Tank, test fitted an old fender and yahoo! Everything clears! It's not a big deal, but it got that weight approximately 4' further to the back of the car and that should help a little bit. Since switching to the new Dart block, the Nova has had a lot more weight on the nose than it needs, so I've been working on weight reduction and moving what weight I can. Lot of work, but every little bit helps. Oh, the removal of the air boxes was worth approximately 9+ lbs. Not a lot, but combined with the 13 lbs off the fenders and we're getting someplace. I'm almost all done filling holes on the firewall, as you can see the windshield wiper motor hole is filled, throttle cable, clutch pedal and wiring holes are now blocked off. Should look real nice once it's all painted. I've got a few more things to do, like adding some downbars from the cage to the front clip (another reason to move that tank so I could do that), but I'm slowly making some progress.